It is important to stay on top of trends
It’s no secret that technology is changing fast. In fact, computer technology and capability doubles every twelve to eighteen months. And it’s not only computers changing. Every facet of our lives changes every few years as new technology changes.
If you run a business, you need to be aware of the changes occurring in technology, not just in your sector but also in general. It is a vital component of staying competitive and part of staying relevant among a sea of competitors.
Why You Need to Stay Ahead of Technology
If you’re in the IT or tech business, it may be obvious you need to stay up-to-date, but what happens if you’re in an “older” sector, such as bookselling? The truth is, no matter what industry your business is in, you need to keep up with technology for a few key reasons:
- Your customers and clients are staying up to date with technology. Even if you have no interest in the latest social media or the latest mobile devices, your clients and customers may be interested. Refusing to show interest can mean you show little interest in what your clients are looking at — and this can eventually drive a wedge between you and your customers.
- Technology affects security and compliance. Older technology may be putting you at risk. If you still use paper filing, for example, personal information in those files is vulnerable to natural disaster or to anyone who can enter the file room. The most modern secure servers and encrypted software, on the other hand, ensure you stay compliant with privacy laws and protect the information you need to protect.
- Your competitors are using technology well. If you don’t stay up to date with technology, you are giving your competitors a great gift by essentially dropping out of the race. Competitors may be using technology to stay more relevant, offer better service and become more appealing. Unless you are doing the same, you will simply become less pertinent to your prospective clients and customers.
How You Can Stay Relevant in Your Industry
There are a few ways to stay relevant in your sector using the latest technology:
- Use cloud-based tools to ensure greater accessibility. Cloud-based computing permits you to store files and information on secure servers, protecting your files and the data they contain. Cloud-based systems also allow you to label information and paperwork, making them easier to find, and ensuring everyone on your team can access data, whether working in the office or remotely.
- Improve customer service with customer relationship applications. Customer-first applications enable you to serve your customers better. For example, customer relationship management (CRM) systems allow you to securely capture information about leads and customers. When clients call, you can quickly gain access about contact information, order status and more, allowing you to serve your customers faster and more efficiently.
- Review your industry with RSS. RSS (Rich Site Summary) gives you access to changing information on the Internet. If you need to keep up with the latest news and innovations in your sector or want to stay up-to-date with your competitors’ offerings, RSS lets you do so in real time.
- Accept mobile payment methods. Mobile payment methods such as Apple Pay let your customers pay on the go with confidence. It can make buying decisions easier, since customers know they can pay quickly and without hassle.
- Enhance inventory control with business intelligence tools. Business intelligence systems use technology to gather data about a business and translate it into actionable steps. This can be especially useful with inventory control. An automated business intelligence system can alert store managers about low inventory of a specific item or a sudden demand for a product, for example, prompting them to re-order before customers face empty shelves.
If you’d like to start updating your business technology, one simple way to do so is with your current phone system. If you are looking for a simple way to manage your business calls, and you are interested in the latest answer to virtual assistants, visit AccessDirect to discover virtual phone services.