If you have a small business, everything you can do to stand out from the competition is an important advantage that can better position you for growth and success. A toll-free number may not seem like a big deal — especially these days, when so much of business is done online — but there are several clear advantages to making the investment. Here are a few:
- Toll-free numbers convey professionalism. A toll-free number gives you the appearance of being a larger, more established business — a particularly useful advantage when your main competitors are large corporations or big-box stores.
- Toll-free numbers enhance your brand. In marketing, consistency is everything. A personalized toll-free number that says something about your product or service can be an important part of building a positive association with your brand.
- Toll-free numbers are easier to remember. Choosing a toll-free number that sticks in the mind — whether it’s a clever spelling or a unique combination of numbers — makes it easier for callers to get in touch with you when they need to.
- Toll-free numbers position you for growth. Being able to reach your office, free of charge, from anywhere in the country is an important benefit to any ambitious business.
Who Can Benefit from Toll-Free Numbers?
All businesses have different needs. While almost any can benefit from a toll-free number, there are a few specific industries in which they can be indispensable to your continued success:
- Restaurants: Whether it’s for making a reservation or ordering takeout, a toll-free number is a great investment for any restaurant. A memorable number makes it more likely a hungry customer will think of you first when making plans to eat.
- Contractors: As a contractor, you want to be accessible to your customers in times of emergency. A toll-free number that is easy to remember makes you easier to get ahold of, so you can respond faster when repairs are needed.
- Online retailers: If you do most of your business online, your customers can come from anywhere. A toll-free number is a convenient way for them to contact you with any issues they have.
- Customer service hotlines: When customers call in with a concern about your product or service, you need to show them you are committed to resolving the problem without any additional inconvenience. A toll-free number is a small but significant gesture that demonstrates thoughtfulness and concern for their needs.
How to Get a Toll-Free Number
Toll-free and vanity numbers are regulated by the U.S. FCC, though its role is limited to big-picture concerns such as choosing new prefixes, setting other guidelines, and enforcement issues. To buy a toll-free number, you need to work with what is called a “responsible organization,” or RespOrg. RespOrgs have access to the nationwide database of toll-free numbers and can help you obtain any available number.
Because toll-free numbers have been a mainstay of marketing for decades, it can be difficult to obtain popular numbers with an 800 prefix. To provide more options for businesses, in recent years additional prefixes have been introduced, with 888, 877, 866, 855 and, since 2013, 844 numbers now available. Alternately, shared-use agreements make it possible for different organizations in different parts of the country to use a common toll-free number.
How AccessDirect Can Help
If you’d like to obtain a toll-free number for your business, contact AccessDirect for help. If you have a specific number or phrase you want, we’ll go over your options and help you choose the best one. We have the resources available to obtain almost any toll-free number. Give us a call or send an email to learn more about how the process works, and get started today.